Final Piece has Landed.

Prelim Task

Monday, September 22, 2008

Horror Still


My Horror still depicts a young man who is scared by something approaching him, this is shown in the form of a shadow of a hand. This gives the audience a feeling of tension as there is the theme of impending danger. Low key lighting is used to add mystery and to add a darklook to the shot. The posture and expression of the actor shows the terror that he is experiencing. This also makes it more personal with the audience due to the human emotion. The shot can be used by the audience to assume a bit of backstory, and to work out theme of the movie, and this is entrapment.

To achieve the shot my group and I found a secluded dark spot with some stairs for our set. We then used multiple light sources to achieve a powerful shadow and a backlight. This was done by using two lighting angles.

The shot is successful because it gives the right feeling to the audience. I think the composition is outstanding, as the dutch angle disorientates and the framing is tight. Also the shot allows for lots of writing to anchor it, this is because there is lots of space surroundi9ng the subject.

In hindsight I would have wanted more time to toy around with angles and lighting, I would have wanted even more lights just for my group. I think we could have tried other angles. I would also have liked to try using female subjects for the shot. The last thing I would experiment more with would be the shadow cast across the wall.

No comments: