Final Piece has Landed.

Prelim Task

Monday, October 13, 2008

Psycho

I am only going to mention important parts and scenes from the first 'Film Night' film which was Alfred Hitchcocks critically acclaimed Psycho, 1960.
So while there was a lot I did not like, some wierd lines of speech, a drawn out car sequence (beginning) and an overused violin theme (how about another theme?), there was also a lot I thought was very good. I thought that (assuming they are the first time these methods were used) a lot of Genre conventions were started by this film, in relation to angles, editing and especially music (shower scene). I thought that at points camera work was outstanding for the era, think back to the detective getting killed. I think that the way that Hitchcock built up tension is very impressive still, beating many horror thriller films made even nowadays. Also I thought that plot was handled well, and I personally did not see the twist coming.
Anyhow I can't say I love the film or would recommend it to a non-media student but I am glad I saw it. As it is very convention heavy.

No comments: